Laurus Law Limited is a limited company with registration number 9960870 incorporated in England & Wales and has its registered office address at 5 St John’s Lane, London, EC1M 4BH and is authorised and regulated and by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (Laurus)
Laurus takes data protection very seriously and will look at ways to limit the processing of your data, where feasible. You will appreciate that as a firm of solicitors, confidentiality is at the very core of our business.
What information do we obtain from you?
We will require such information as is necessary to enable us to provide legal services to you. The type of information will include personal data and is likely to include special category personal data (also known as sensitive personal data) and may be held by us in a paper or electronic format.
The legal basis for processing (handling/holding) your personal data
The legal basis for processing your personal data depends on the circumstances. The basis may be:
- you have given your consent to the processing of your personal data; or
- the processing is necessary to perform a contract you have entered into. For instance, if you engage us to attend to the transfer of a property you have purchased or sold, it will be necessary to process the names and addresses of the sellers and purchasers as part of the conveyancing transaction; or
- the processing may be necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us. The legitimate interests of a firm of solicitors may be to undertake legal action for or on behalf of its clients, i.e. the right to practice law.
What do we do with the information we do obtain from you?
Our use of your personal data is subject to:
- your instructions,
- the Data Protection Act 1998, whilst applicable and, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) after 25 May 2018,
- any replacement legislation in force in the United Kingdom (the data protection legislation) and
- our duty of confidentiality owed as a regulated firm of solicitors.
We use the information you provide primarily to provide legal services to you, but we may also use it for other purposes, including:
- obtaining satisfaction of our invoices using a third party service provider;
- updating and enhancing client records;
- analysis to help us manage our Firm;
- detection and the prevention of crime; this service may be undertaken by a third party provider for us on a strictly confidential basis;
- call recording – your information will be kept confidential, at all times, but may be used in the monitoring of telephone conversations to ensure service level standards are maintained and to aid dispute resolution in the event of a complaint. Your information may also be used for training purposes. We will ensure that you cannot be identified from the training material which is used;
- external auditing, the management of complaints and training; these aspects may be undertaken by a third party, but it will be on a strictly confidential basis and we will ensure that access to your data is controlled;
- internal file auditing;
- legal and regulatory compliance;
- contacting you for the purpose of investigating opportunities for further processing or consent.
- updating you on changes in the law
- reminders to review the legal aspect of your affairs
- introducing you to services provided by Laurus Law Limited
If you no longer want to receive information from us
If you no longer wish us to communicate with you please either email or write to our Office Manager with the subject heading “No more contact” at Hansa.Pindolia@Lauruslaw.co.uk or 5 St John’s Lane, London, EC1M 4BH or you can telephone our Office Manager on 020 3146 6300.
Transfer of information abroad
We will not transfer your personal data abroad without your explicit prior consent.
We have robust information security management systems in place to protect your personal data. All electronic data transfers to Laurus Law are encrypted and all IT systems containing our clients’ data have rigorously audited technical controls to ensure confidentiality and integrity of all information is maintained at all times.
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard internet and visitor behaviour information. The information is used to track visitor use of our website and for statistics compiled on website activity. For more information visit: www.allaboutcookies.org .
We do record our telephone calls from time-to-time to ensure service levels, for training and aid resolving complaints/disputes.
Data Protection Officer
Our Data Protection Officer is Rob Gray, our Company Secretary, and he can be contacted by email at rob.gray@Lauruslaw.co.uk or you can write to him at Laurus Law, 5 St John’s Lane, London, EC1M 4BH
Retention of Personal Data
We have a Data Retention & Destruction Policy and in terms of that policy we destroy archived data after 7 years but reserve the right to do so earlier if we deem it appropriate. However, we also reserve the right in certain circumstances to hold your data for longer than 7 years, but in such event, it will not be accessible except in a secure retrieval process prescribed in our policies and procedures. In the event of us retaining your personal data for more than 7 years, we also reserve the right to securely delete some of your personal data that we do not regard as necessary to retain in the circumstances.
Data Protection Regulator, Complaints Handling and Modern Slavery Statement
You may complain about our conduct in relation to data protection matters to the regulator of data protection in the UK, The Information Commissioner, by writing to them at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF or telephoning them on 0303 – 123 1113.
Contacts, Subject Access Requests, Correction or Deletion of Data
If you have any questions about our Privacy Statement or want to exercise your rights under the data protection legislation to see a copy of the information that we hold about you, or think that information we hold about you may need to be corrected, want to delete all or any part of it or object to the processing on legitimate grounds, please contact us with the subject heading “Data Privacy” to Hansa.Pindolia@Lauruslaw.co.uk or send a signed letter addressed to our Office Manager at 5 St John’s Lane, London, EC1M 4BH.
Revisions to this Statement
We may change this Statement from time-to-time by updating this page.
Date last updated: